Skip to main content

Guide for young people with special educational needs and disabilities in education

When People Can’t Agree – A Guide for Young People in Education

This guide provides advice for young people aged 16-25 who are unhappy with their special educational needs (SEN) provision or support at school or college and need help and guidance to sort those problems out.

Who this guide is for

This guide is intended for young people who are between 16 and 25 years and who have a special educational need or a disability.

Other Details


Age Ranges
Referral required
Other notes

Types of problem:

There are times when you may disagree with decisions that have been made about your needs and about how to help you. This might include situations such as:

 The help that my school or college is giving me is not enough, or is not right, for my special educational needs or my disability.
 The local authority has made a decision about the help they think I should have and I don't agree with them.
 I have complained a few times about decisions made by my school or college and I’m still unhappy.
 I’ve complained about the decisions made by health or social care services and I’m still unhappy.
 My local authority is taking too long to help me.
 I am not getting the help that was set out in my EHC plan.

For more information please find the guide under downloads on the right hand side.

Back to top