Skip to main content

Disabled Children and Young People's Register

Register a child as disabled

The Disabled Children and Young People's Register (DYCPR) is a voluntary and confidential list of names and basic information about children and young people with disabilities, special or additional needs who live in Royal Greenwich. It is held by the Families Information Service.

The Children Act

The Children Act 1989 requires all local authorities to create a register of disabled children and young people in their area.

Being on the register can help families to:

  • be kept up-to-date with information about services, rights and entitlements, as well as events and activities for children and families, through regular newsletters and bulletins
  • tell us what they think and to be involved in discussions or consultations about future services and activities.

This register also helps us to:

  • know about the needs of disabled children, young people and their families in the area so services can be planned to help meet those needs
  • plan for the future needs of local children and assist in their transition to adulthood.

Can my child be on the register?

Children and young people can be on the register if they:

  • live in the Royal Borough of Greenwich
  • are aged 0 to 19 and
  • have a physical or learning disability which is likely to have a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to carry out usual day-to-day activities.

This would include any child or young person entitled to Disability Living Allowance or with a diagnosed disability from a community paediatrician or other qualified professional.

For advice about placing your child on the Disabled Children and Young People’s Register or completing the registration form, please contact the Families Information Service.

Does my child have to be on the register?

No, being on the register is voluntary and if your child is on it you can ask for their details to be removed at any time.

Being on the register is not a pre-condition for receiving any services – your entitlement will continue on the basis of your child’s assessed needs.

Being on the register does not require any contact or home visits from a social worker.

What can I expect when my child is on the register?

When you place your child on the register you will receive regular information updates from the Families Information Service on activities, services, opportunities and entitlements relating to children and young people with disabilities and additional needs.

You will receive three large mailings per year and other information relating to your child or children's conditions as appropriate in between.

How can I add my child to the register?

You will need to complete a short registration form, either online or by downloading a copy of the form.

Registration forms are also available from:

  • children's centres
  • schools
  • the Families Information Service.

If you would like any assistance to complete the registration form, please contact the Families Information Service.

What happens to the information I provide?

Your information will be held on a password-protected database, which is managed and updated by our Families Information Service.

This confidential information will be managed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and will only be used as outlined above - unless there are serious concerns about the safety or wellbeing of a child.

Back to top